Summer

Hudson's Fall 2011

Hudson's Fall 2011
Corbin, Kennedy, Karla, Chase, Casey, Kyndal

Tuesday, September 14, 2010

A Sad Farewell

I have been MIA again....Last week was a sad week, my Grandma Lowe passed away early Tuesday morning. I am thankful that my Grandma is no longer suffering, that she is now "dancing with Jesus" ....the words I used to help explain to my children.

My grandmother (Mom's Mother) suffered from lung cancer. She has endured so much pain the last few years especially but has held on for months longer than the doctor's originally predicted. She was a fighter. Along with the cancer she also had a blood clot in her lung, an aneuryism in her aorta, pneumonia and heart problems. Grandma was 78 years when she passed.

Though I was only able to visit Grandma once/year for most of my life, I have so many wonderful memories of her and the times I shared in her home. Here are just a few:

1. When we came to visit, they were always waiting on the porch, standing together, waving, eager for our arrival. As we tumbled out of the car, their arms were reaching, open wide, ready to give a big bear hug and kiss on the cheek.

2. When we left, we lined up for a picture with them and they again watched us take off again, waving until we were out of sight.

3. I'm not sure if there's any truth to it or not, but I like to believe that part of the reason my Grandpa chose their home in the tiny town of Cincinnati, IA, is because directly across the gravel street from their house is the town's park. We spent HOURS at that park, running back and forth to Grandma's house to "check in" and grab snacks. Grandma always warned us when we were younger "don't go to the big end!" We used to roll our eyes and joke about it, but it was her way of protecting us.

4. I remember spending a couple weeks of the summer a few different years with my grandparents, sans parents. One particular memory always stands out. Grandma Lowe took my sisters and I to the grocery store and said, "fill it up". We looked at her like she had two heads. She said again "Fill it up. If you don't start picking things out, you'll be awfully hungry!" We got to pick out all the groceries, that was so cool!

5. I walk around her home now and think how huge it seemed when I was growing up. The tempting banister leading up the stairs, how she had so many different bedrooms upstairs (3), and how all of us, aunts, uncles, grandkids, would fit around the dining room table. I will never forget those huge family meals.

My Grandma will be greatly missed, but I am blessed with so many memories and from having her in my life. Rest now, Grandma, I will meet you again one day in heaven!

These pictures were taken at our family reunion this summer in June:

Grandma Lowe
Mom, Grandma Lowe, me, Corbin, Kennedy, Kyndal

Mom and Grandma, sister Karon, me, sister Kara

4 comments:

Jodee said...

Karla -- I am so sorry for your loss. Is there anything we can do to help you? We will keep you in our thoughts and prayers.

Kim said...

What a sweet post. No matter how often we see them Grandparents always have a special place in our hearts. What special memories you have of her until you both with be dancing with Jesus, I like that, what a good way to explain.

Jess said...

My sympathies to you and your family for losing your grandmother. God bless!

agmommy said...

I miss her so much and I felt like enduring the funeral and the loss of her life re-opened the wounds of Grandpa's passing too. Seeing the beautiful tribute video that Kara created really pulled at the heartstrings for me. Things will never be the same :(